Tuesday 10 April 2012

Southern Cooking for Dummies

So when it comes to Southern Food, I do have a favourite.  Pulled Pork, or Pulled Chicken sandwiches. Now like I said before, I'm no Bobby Flay, and no matter how many times I look into my back yard, or wish upon a star, an applewood burning smoker will just not appear lol. So until the barbeque gods grant my wish, I needed to find some way to be able to make this at home. Well as luck would have it, I did, and as the title suggests, this recipe couldn't get any easier.

This is everything that you require
chicken breast or pork shoulder
a slow cooker

ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar & slow cooker spice

So here we go, this is how simple it is. Once you have your chicken or pork, in your slow cooker,  1) In a medium bowl, combine 1\2 a cup of ketchup, 1/2 a cup of firmly packed brow sugar, 1/3 of a cup of cider vinegar, and a package of slow cooker spice mix. Mix these together well to form your sauce. 2) pour the sauce over the meat, add 1/2 a cup of water, and give everything a stir.( If you are doing pork shoulder, omit the water) 3) Put the lid on the cooker turn it to low and let it cook for 5 hours or if your short on time 2 1/2 hours on high (8 hours low, and 4 hours on high for pork), And now matter how amazing your kitchen starts to smell, and it will, LEAVE THE LID ON THE COOKER!!! you don't want any of that moisture to escape.
2
1

3

Once the kitchen is filled with those wonderful aroma, and the timer has gone off, grab yourself 2 forks, and start to shred the meat. The meat should pull apart effortlessly, if you find that it is not separating, let the meat cook a little longer




And VoilĂ !!! Really folks that's it!!! It is that simple!! Grab yourself some fresh buns (bread people lol) and load up your sandwich. Pair this with a traditional southern side like coleslaw, which also adds an extra zip if placed on top of the meat in the sandwich, and as a second side, I have done a maple mashed sweet potatoe, which if anyone would like, I'll gladly share the recipe for that too.


Well everyone, Happy eating!!  If there is a recipe, or a restaurant that you are passionate, or curious about, please just comment on my blog, or tweet me @awat56, and I will test it out and blog on it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment