Saturday 21 July 2018

The Diner's Grill

So I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I have a dream when I retire from my retail life. I would love nothing more than to own a little diner, somewhere in an industrial park, I'd open early for breakfast, do a great sandwich and burger menu for lunch, then shut it down mid afternoon and head home to the family. So  of course nothing makes me happier to find great places like the Dinner's Grill on Turenne St. just off of Panet ave in the Mission Industrial Park.

http://thedinersgrill.com/

On this particular day, I was meeting my good friend Terry for our monthly breakfast get together, and because of summer vacation, I had my 2 youngest in tow. We walked in through the front door, and immediately a smile comes across my face. From the pictures on the wall, the checkerboard table cloths, to the Popeye and Olive Oyl pictures on the washroom doors, this quaint little 11 table diner, had done its best to give us a quick little time warp back to the 50's and 60's,

We are greeted with a warm smile and a couple of menus. The girls decide to sit by each other and Terry and I sit at the other end of the table. Our friendly hostess tells us that she has a great pancake breakfast that is really inexpensive, and that it would feed both girls, however both young ladies already have eggs and toast firmly ingrained in their minds.



I order the Light Breakfast for myself, 2 Eggs over-easy, bacon, 2 slices of rye toast, hash-browns with a coffee to drink, and ask our hostess if it would be possible for me to order the same thing for the girls with a spare plate on the side and I will just divide it into two for them. She smiles and says "no problem", then turns to my girls and makes the  honest mistake of asking them if they wanted BACON, or SAUSAGE... let the battle begin.... In almost exact unison, except for the word, the 3 year old shouts out sausage as the 8 year old shouts out bacon.  Being the great negotiator that I am, I try to calmly explain that we have to choose between one or the other so of course now each one is sticking firm to their own choice. Without so much as a blink of an eye our hostess turns to me and says " It's OK, I will put one strip of bacon on one plate and one sausage link on the other" . I tell her that she is amazing and thank her very much, and before she can ask the next question that is surly to start another great debate as to why pop is not OK at breakfast, I order them each a glass of milk to drink and she heads to the kitchen with our order.

The food comes quickly and as ordered, the girls portions have already been rationed out by the kitchen,  1 egg each, a strip of bacon with one meal and a sausage link with the other as promised, hash-browns and a piece a toast complete the plates. I quickly cut the eggs for each girl so that they can start eating and that Terry and I could enjoy some conversation while they ate.

Our Hostess comes back to check on us, the girls tell her that everything is great with large smiles on their faces, and our hostess tells us that the meal that the girls are eating is the breakfast special and it comes with a drink so she will only charge me for 1 extra milk. With a smile I thank her once again, between the food, the atmosphere and the conversation this breakfast was pretty well perfect.

After our conversations were finished and our plates practically licked clean, I cleared up our bill, a mere $24 after tax for the 4 of us. I Thank our hostess again for our wonderful experience and ensure her that we will be back, next time to check out the incredible lunch menu that they offer.



The girls and I say goodbye to our friend, and head off on our day to start another adventure.

If you find yourself in the east end of the city with a hunger in your belly, before you pull into the drive thru of one of the big fast food chains, find the link here in my blog, plug it into your GPS (It's not that hard to find really) and head to the Diner's Grill instead. I guarantee you won't be disappointed

If you like what you have read today, please follow me at awateats on both twitter, and Instagram. 
Feel free to share the link with your friends and family, and if there is a local place that you would like me to check out for you first or you think it is just so great that I  have to go then please let me know in the comment section below or again on either twitter or Instagram. 

Enjoy your day 

AWAT


1 comment: